Today’s Daily Data – Wed. Dec. 02, 2020

  • Jolly streamers – Spotify’s top three most-streamed holiday songs of all time are Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas Is You,” Wham! “Last Christmas,” and Ariana Grande’s “Santa Tell Me”
  • Brb, songwriting – The song “All I Want For Christmas Is You” has earned Mariah Carey $60 million in royalties
  • Merry Thanksgiving – “Jingle Bells” was published in 1857 and originally intended to be a Thanksgiving song
  • Peace on Earth – The song “Do You Hear What I Hear” was written as a call for peace during the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962
  • Rock on, Alvin – “The Chipmunk Song” is still the only Christmas song to hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart

Holiday music is rooted in what many people consider the classic era of the genre, the 1950s and 1960s. Holiday music continues to grow in popularity each year and is what many rely on to immerse them in the holiday spirit. Here are some interesting facts about holiday music!

  • In 2016, adult contemporary radio stations accounted for over half of the airplay of all holiday music (53%). The remaining 47% came from a combination of the other popular stations including country, classic hits, pop, etc — step aside, Christmas tunes coming through
  • Myth buster — Surprisingly, the common belief that only older people enjoy holiday music is a myth. Millennials make up 36% of all holiday music listeners, followed by Gen X at 31%. Boomers and older make up 25% and Gen Z comes in last at 8%.
  • Christmas music became more popular in the 20th century when radio, television, and film exploded. Hollywood has played an important role in the success of Christmas music with films such as Holiday Inn (1942), Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964), It’s a Wonderful Life (1983), and others — technology strikes again
During the time period between Thanksgiving and New Year, when holiday stations see their biggest spike in listeners, the presence of all-Christmas stations affect the radio habits for many other formats, too.
  • Christmas music binge — 122 hours of Christmas music on the station 106.7 LiteFM was analyzed and during that time period, the top three played artists were Michael Buble, Bing Crosby, and Andy Williams. The top three tracks were “White Christmas,” “It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas,” and “Santa Claus Is Coming To Town.”